11.3 C

Some nursing homes in New York City were left helpless in the face of the virus

ALBANIA, NEW YORK (AP) – When a coronavirus struck New York at the end of the year, some nursing homes survived unscathed. But some became particularly helpless in stopping the spread of COVID-19, even though they had nine months to stockpile defense equipment and clean up precautionary measures.

At least 15 families in each saw at least 30 patients die between November and early February. Most deaths occur within a few weeks. Seven homes had more than 40 deaths, not including specialized nursing homes that treat only COVID-19 patients.

Extremely rapidly deadly outbreaks occur in a state where most nursing homes at the time reported deaths with single-digit deaths.

The worst affected was the 300-bed community in St. Anthony, Auburn. It held the virus for months, delivering Christmas Day without a single death from COVID-19. But by the end of January, the disease had claimed 57 lives, just as vaccinations began.

Urs orthopedics have had almost a year to improve visitation policy, increase testing programs, and correct infection control practices. However, the virus still entered institutions such as Commons, where 90-year-old former Alzheimer’s nurse Constance Cudi died on January 17 from COVID-19 complications, according to his family.

“He worked hard all his life,” said Kady’s daughter, ody odi Kurtemenesh. “And I just wish he could go on his own terms when he was ready to go, not INTEND to go in and catch him.”

Until recently, the whole volume of the New York wave was partially obscured as the administration of Governor Andrew Cuomo did not release data on thousands of nursing home residents who died outside their homes, a scandal that preceded allegations that he sexually assaulted female helpers. :

Although the state has made available some statistics on nursing home deaths since last spring, more complete information on where and when patients died was published only in February by a judge in a non-partisan research order published by the Center for Public Policy. Center:

Recent reports provide more details on deaths in the Commons, such as outside Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester, which killed more than 40 people during the late fall and early winter waves.

Elcor Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, located about 97 miles (97 kilometers) south of the community, killed 62 people between November and early February, despite precautions that included cleaning up the letters, said Administrator Edward Linsler.

The situation has improved significantly in recent weeks as most of the nation’s nursing home population has been vaccinated.

Investigating how a coronavirus disrupts any facility can be difficult. Public health experts note that keeping records of the infection and creating the right staff can make a difference. Larger common room facilities offered by Commons may be more prone to flare-ups.

“More than 99 percent of institutions in the country have had at least one case, and most of it happened this winter, when we knew what to do,” said Tamara Konetska, a research professor at the University of Chicago who specializes in long-term care. in the field: “It just tells me that it is really almost impossible to get rid of the virus completely.”

Loretto, a company that operates the Commons, said it had taken many steps to prevent the virus. Employees wore dresses, gloves, and face shields while working with residents. Family members saw their loved ones only through plate glass.

From May to February 3, the State Department of Health conducted six inspections of infection control by the federal government and found no deficiencies.

Cayuga County did not see its first major outbreak until the fall. Loretto spokesman Jul Uli Shidi said the spread of the virus “out of control” in the surrounding community had put pressure on the nursing home.

Kathleen Grader, 86, a resident of the community, gave a positive result after receiving the first of the first shots of the vaccines planned for the end of December. The mother of 10, who was “always busy” even from the onset of Alzheimer’s disease, died on January 12 from COVID-19 complications, said her daughter Theresa Smithler.

“The only way to get the virus from these residents was to have an employee,” said Smithler, noting that even at Christmas, visitors were not allowed. During the holidays, Smithler and his sister sang in the cell phone with their mother behind the window.

Communities tested և checked employees. But these procedures can not catch every infected worker in time, especially if they have no symptoms.

In January, infections among staff increased, with 42 positive cases reported in three weeks.

Kaylee Gabak, a 24-year-old certified nurse assistant, tested positive for Christmas after she went to the hospital to give birth to her first child. The newborn girl, Charlotte, was born healthy, but Gabak soon returned to the hospital in serious condition.

Her mother, Courtney Haberlau, believes her daughter became infected in the Commons in mid-December, just before her maternity leave. He struggled with internal bleeding, abscesses and other complications, and returned home this month.

After Gabak woke up in the hospital in early February, his mother said he would soon be using his cell phone to search for “his people,” the community’s mortals.

“He was really sad about it, because a lot of the people he cared about were dead,” Haberlau said.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here