It’s charred more than 1,320 acres since it was reported Friday and is still 0% contained, Los Angeles County fire officials said Sunday.
“Gather your valuables, medicines etc and load them into your car so you are ready if asked to evacuate,” the department said.
This area hasn’t burned in decades
Roughly 300 firefighters battled the blaze over the weekend, working to keep the flames out of an area that hasn’t burned in more than 50 years, Ortiz said.
“There’s a lot of dense, thick material there, oily plants that have dried out because of the drought,” Ortiz said Sunday. “So, that’s our objective today: to try to keep it out of that and protect the communities and neighborhoods that are to the west of this fire because that’s what’s closest to it.”
Those drought conditions, coupled with the gusty winds the area is expected to see in the coming days, will likely pose some of the biggest challenges in containing the fire.
A second person questioned in connection to fire
The Los Angeles Fire Department previously said there was a “suspicious start” to the fire.
The department’s arson investigators are interviewing a suspect who may be connected to the blaze, spokesperson Capt. Erik Scott told CNN.
It’s a different person than another individual who was briefly detained Saturday night and later released, Scott said.
CNN’s Paul Vercammen, Hollie Silverman, Andy Rose and Alaa Elassar and Jenn Selva contributed to this report.