5.5 C

One year after the COVID-19 superdistributor, the family finds itself closed

SEDRO-WALLY, Washington. (AP) – Carol Ray Woodmansy’s four children cleaned the tombstone of their mother’s share with their father, Jim, with a bar of soap, brushes and plastic water jugs. Each scrub shone with the engraved letters of their mother’s name և on the day of her birth և death. March 27, 1939 մարտի March 27, 2020.

Carol passed away at the age of 81.

It was one year since he died of complications from COVID-19 this year after he contracted it in a choir practice that left 53 people sick and two killed, a common occurrence that will be one of the most important transmissions of the virus.

For the sisters ս, the Cold Anniversary gave the opportunity to close after the epidemic stopped their mourning. They finally kept a monument to their mother in the community.

“The most difficult thing is that there was no farewell. It was as if he had just disappeared, “said Wendy Ens Ensen, Carol’s youngest child.

After cleaning, the sisters and sisters remember. They say their father should be happy when he returns with his 46-year-old wife. They thank them for being good parents, remembering their mother saying “mine” before calling out the names of themselves and other loved ones.

More about the COVID-19 epidemic

“I was always ‘My Bonnie,'” Bonnie Dawson told her siblings. “I miss being ‘My Bonnie.’

“She missed her dad for a long time,” adds her older sister, Linda Holeman. Their father, Jim Jim, passed away in 2003.

Of the more than 550,000 people who died from the virus in the United States, Carol was one of the first. His death came just hours after a first-week outbreak in a Kirkland nursing home about an hour south of Mern Vernon. Carol, who survived heart surgery and cancer, fell ill at home. Bonnie cared for him until they called the paramedics.

“You are trying to say goodbye to your mother,” they say, “come back.” It was very difficult, it was emotional … I had to shout. “I love you, Mom,” as he was being pulled out of the car by men standing 10 feet in our yard because they did not want to be near our house. Bonnie said.

The Skagit Valley Chorale’s community choir rehearsal, which consisted mostly of retirees չէր not affiliated with the church where they attended, took place two weeks before Governor’s Ince’s state closed. The choir took the precautions known at the time, such as leaving and cleaning. But someone had a virus.

“The choir called us directly, they left a voice mail. The voicemail said there was a positive person in the choir, 24 people are now ill, ”said Lega Hamner, Skagit County’s public health infectious disease: epidemiologist. “It immediately became clear that we had a big problem.”

Hamner և his team attended job interviews with choir members, often multiple times, with those with whom they had interacted after practice, a total of 122 people. They thoroughly parted in the evening, looking for things like where people were sitting, putting on cookies or chairs.

That level of access և detail is rare during an outbreak, Hamner said, so when things eased in the county a few weeks later, he sat down to write a report.

“It strongly resisted being called airborne disease,” Hamner said. “But we have found this average level of this disease, which can be either drip or airborne. So it was a big shift. “After the newspaper, the CDC began to recognize air travel.”

The outbreak after the Los Angeles Times article gained prominence, prompting other researchers to investigate the incident, further reinforcing the conclusion that the virus was passed through the air during the experiment.

“I think this outbreak of the chorus is seen as an event that really woke people up to the idea that the virus could be spread through the air,” said Lincy Marr, a Virginia Tech professor of airborne transmission. Marr was among 239 experts who successfully lobbied the World Health Organization to change its transfer guidelines.

The other person who died from the choir practice was 83-year-old Nancy “Nick” Hamilton. A native of New York, Hamilton moved north of Seattle in the 1990s. She posted a personal ad on the Everett Herald, where she met her husband.

“We went down to the bowling alley in Everett,” said 85-year-old Victor Hamilton. “We took it from there.”

Hamilton could not hold a memorial for him. Their families are scattered all over the country, he would like to have it in New York if possible. She is looking forward to June 21, her birthday.

On nearby Mount Vernon, family and friends flock to Radius Church, looking for dozens of photos of Carroll taken together by siblings. Wendy shows off her daughter’s cover, which she made for Carol’s music camp T-shirts.

Priest Ken Hubbard tells those present that the service is not really a funeral, but a memorial to tell about Carol.

“I am convinced that his prayers saved my life once or twice,” said grandson David Woodmanz.

Loved ones remember Carol’s devotion to family, faith and music. Others remember how he received them into his family, took piano lessons, and volunteered for his church.

They sing “Blessed Assurance”, his favorite hymn. His words were among the last words he addressed to his children from his hospital.

After the concert, the family returns to the cemetery to lay flowers. They also sing again, closing the day with a spontaneous, smiling “Happy Birthday” performance.

Wendy later referred to the choral practice in which the mother became infected with the virus, noting the knowledge gained from it, which contributed to the development of preventive measures.

“As far as we know, it was God’s plan for him to help.”

“I think my mother would be willing to give up her life to save lives,” Bonnie said. “He was such a man.”



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here