19.8 C
Munich

Dolce & Gabbana demands more than $ 600 million in compensation from 2 American bloggers

Milan fashion house Dolce & Gabbana has filed a defamation lawsuit in an Italian court seeking more than $ 600 million in damages from two American fashion bloggers who republished anti-Asian comments attributed to one of the designers, which were boycotted by Asian consumers. ,

The lawsuit was filed in a Milan civil court in 2019, but was only made public this week when bloggers posted it on their Instagram account Diet Prada. Their feeding is widely followed in the fashion world by cutting-edge commentary on projects օր social issues.

“This whole case is a way to silence Diet Prada, to silence Tony (Liu) and Lindsay (Schuyler) personally,” said Susan Scafidi, director of the Fordham Law School Institute of Fashion, which coordinates the blogging. ‘protection

The lawyers of Dolce & Gabbana, who were reached by the AP, refused to comment on the case.

The incident began in November 2018, when Dolce & Gabbana was boycotted in Asia, outraged by what was seen as culturally anesthetizing videos that contributed to the main runway show in Shanghai, followed by insulting comments in a private Instagram conversation.

The promotion was canceled, which included retailers pulling Dolce & Gabbana products and Asian VIPs dropping the brand.

Designers Domenico Dolce ֆ Stefano Gabbana initially said that Gabbana’s account had been hacked. Later, they both appeared in the video, apologizing to the Chinese people.

“A public apology and a calm trial are really canceling each other out,” Safidi told the Associated Press on Saturday.

Italian lawyers briefed the Milan civil court this week, arguing that Italy was not the right place to go, given that the blog was produced in the United States and that the alleged damages were in Asia.

The fashion house is demanding more than half a billion euros in total damage compensation, Scafidi said.

He said that the fashion house is looking for 450 million euros to restore the brand image from 2018, 3 million euros for the company, 1 million euros for Gabbana, to which the remarks were attributed. The lawsuit also demands more than € 8.6 million for the cancellation of the Shanghai show, another € 8.6 million for staff costs and a և 89.6 million loss for Asian sales for November 2018-March 2019.

Diet Prada, which has more than 2.5 million Instagram followers, has raised more than $ 38,000 to protect itself since its inception.

In a statement, Liu և Shuler both said they would not allow their platform, which also voiced the #MeToo movement, the Black Lives Matter վերջ recent attacks on Asians in the United States, to be silenced in court.

“Diet Prada will continue to be a platform to address these crucial issues,” Lew said.

Schuler called on “public figures և brands to respond to public opinion և criticism of media outlets with progressive action, not litigation.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here