Paris (AP) – France’s top diplomat spoke with his Iranian counterpart on Saturday, urging Iran to be “constructive” and avoid further nuclear escalation ahead of talks next week aimed at rescuing a global deal that undermines Iran’s nuclear program.
The United States and Iran announced on Friday that they would begin indirect talks next week, at one of the first signs of progress, trying to bring the two countries back to 2015. Agreement: Then-President Donald Trump pulled the United States out of the deal in 2018, and since then Iran has consistently violated its restrictions.
Diplomats from Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and Iran will take part in EU-mediated talks in Vienna on Tuesday. The six countries remain in the agreement, known as the Comprehensive Joint Action Plan, which binds Iran to nuclear sanctions in exchange for the lifting of US and international sanctions.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian spoke on Saturday with Iranian Foreign Minister Awad Zarif to prepare for talks.
“I urge Iran to be constructive,” Le Drian said in a statement. “I urge Iran to refrain from further breaches of its current nuclear obligations, which could threaten the resumption of talks.”
Iran says it does not want to build nuclear bombs.
President Biden has taken office, saying that entering into a nuclear deal and returning Iran’s nuclear program under international restrictions is a priority for his administration. Iran wants the sanctions lifted first.