BEIJING (AP) – A veteran BBC correspondent whose coverage angered China has left the country amid security concerns, the BBC reports.
The BBC reported on Wednesday that Sud on Sudworth has moved to Taiwan and will continue to be the British public broadcaster’s correspondent in China.
The Chinese Foreign Correspondents’ Club reported that Sudworth had left last week “for the safety of his family”.
The organization said that Sudworth’s wife, Yvonne Murray, a correspondent for the Irish RTE TV channel, left with him.
“John On’s work has revealed truths that the Chinese authorities did not want the world to know,” the BBC said in a statement on Twitter.
The BBC and Sudworth declined to comment further.
Sudworth reported from China for nine years. Last year, he won the Pol or Polk Prize for his report on Muslim refugee camps in Xinjiang. China says the camps are vocational training centers and denies any wrongdoing.
China has held a series of press conferences to refute reports of human rights abuses in the city of Xinjiang by the BBC and other foreign media. Chinese state media and officials accuse the British broadcaster of deliberate misinformation.
“Sudworth left after months of personal attacks and misinformation against him and his BBC colleagues,” the Foreign Correspondents Club said. “These included videos posted online by state media calling him” using his footage “obtained from Chinese police cameras.
Pressure on foreign journalists working in China has increased over the past year. China ousted 18 journalists working for The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post in 2020